Monday, July 30, 2012

Book Reviews: The monk who sold his ferrari - By Robin Sharma

Book Review:
Book Title:  The monk who sold his Ferrari .    
Author:    Robin Sharma

I read this book as a time pass but once I started to read, it kept my interest till the end. I was reading it to see some change in myself, for the good. I think it is hard to tell if I have changed for the good or not, but this is the first book which came in my mind when I thought to write review of any book in my blog. So I think there is something which have kept its impression in my mind. the book has a very simple language so it is easy to go through the book. It is a kind of self help book and also it is a kind of story book.
Robin Sharma is now well known throughout the world for the coaching he provides to have the leadership qualities. I think this book is a work of fiction which combines some principles he has learned with time, to have a happy, enlightened life. It was not much into my head when I read for first time at the age of 22. I read it once again now at the age of 25 and it is now more clear to me. the principles described inside the book more sense to me now. The character named "Julian Mantle" sells his red colored Ferrari, and leaves to the heights of the Himalayas in the India, where he meets the sages of "Sivana". I have never heard of such sages in the Himalayas and I think they are also the fictional characters, but the wisdom they offered to Julian which transforms his life to a totally different reality is worth learning. The leader of the sages of Sivana, named "Yogi Raman" teaches him the seven elements of living a life of enlightenment with the help of a short fable.
This short fable is inserted into the picture to make it easy for you to remember the seven elements to focus on while seeking for enlightenment. The first one is mind (Garden), second is the a purpose/aim of your life(Lighthouse), third is the Sumo wrestler who walks through a door at the base of the lighthouse which tells you to open your mind to learn the new things which will add to your character, fourth is the willpower(red strip which guards the private parts of the Sumo wrestler), fifth is Time(gold watch on which he slips), Sixth is a yellow flower whose scent makes him awake after falling down, focusing on the present makes every moment similar to the diamond path(7th element) on which this wrestler walks on. This diamond path represents the enlightened path.
I have just read this book second time, and I hope that I have learned some good wisdom through this book. For example today I waked at 5:30AM which I postponed in the last few weeks up to 6:15AM. I think it is a good book which can be finished within three days, if read 3 hours per day.
It in an interesting book.





No comments:

Post a Comment