Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Experiments with Truth- An Autobiography by Mahatma Gandhi ( A short Review)

I put if off once, and again started to read this book one month later. I felt nothing special at first and found that life of Mahatma Gandhi was shaped so, due to his travel to London and then mainly in South Africa.
After reading this book I felt that if the circumstances are there, one/anyone can become Gandhi. I think the main power behind him was that vow from his mother and brother, to not eat flesh and to not touch the woman. He learned fasting from his mother by observing her control and dedication to control the fast even for more than one day.

His father gave him the power to speak the truth because, he didn't scold or beat him when he told him about the theft of gold chain that he did from his brother's pocket. He found that speaking truth gives you more trust and love.
I think his father "Mr. Karam Chand Gandhi" was a very wise man and so was his mother "Smt. Putlibai" but surely not with their decision to marry their child at the age of 14. They insisted him on not eating the meat or eggs, I think this was the main reason that Gandhi was eager to take the path of spirituality.

If there was no such restriction, he would never have asked a question to himself about the reason behind this restriction. He once ate the meat with his school friend who bribed him with the thought of becoming stronger by eating meat. Once he realized that he can not lie to his parents, he left it.
I think he was fascinated with the ideas of the fasting and vows, which reflects in a bigger form in his all future movements including the "Satyagraha".

While I started to read this book I saw a big list of the chapters and I told myself "leave it, you will never finish this".. but then there came so many reasons in my mind to read it. I call him the father of nation(India), everybody call him father of nation, there must be something to read about this person who is known as the father of nation.
I recently read a book titled "Think and Grow Rich" by Nepolean Hill, in which he describes Gandhi as the most powerful person of the present age. I became more eager to read about Gandhi because he was compared to Gautam Buddha, whom I observed through the "Old path and white clouds" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

I was moved by the life of Buddha and I am sure that Gandhi and almost everyone who read him, must had been influenced by Buddha. Gandhi was also influenced by a numbers of writers, whom he read through a numbers of books while he was in Europe and South Africa. His Tolstoy farm in South Africa was named after Leo Tolstoy. I think Gandhi was wrong in growing his children in the way he grew them. He should have given them proper English school education. If he had the money to support his children for their education then he surely must had done that.

Gandhi was a passive person, his methods of opposing something were passive. While factory workers became reluctant to continue their strike at Gujrat, he declared fasting for four days to them, which gave him the desired results but that is not the method used by anyone else. I mean this sounds a little crazy/depressing, there is no logic in this. There must be some other way to do that work which would not be to harm your own body, by not providing it the proper food, which Buddha also didn't agreed with.

Once Buddha left his food and water and started to meditate but soon he realized that this was not the proper way to get enlightenment so, he started to eat again, and he never did anything like fasting to change someone's view or to control someone. Power of Buddha reflects in the manner he converted the Angulimal into a monk, the way he converted the heart of Ajatshatru and also his own ill minded cousin. At some points I felt that Gandhi was a coward and then sometimes I found him courageous and reasonable/logical. His refusal to leave the room of the British official while he was asked for it, and then writing back to him was a completely foolish act.

I have not learned much about his other half of life but, I am sure he got changed later and that was the part of life, which can be much more appreciated than his life which is described in this book "My Experiments with Truth". I appreciate him for many reasons but I don't appreciate him for treating his wife and children the way he treated them. I found that Gandhi was a lucky fellow to have been sent to England for learning the law and that changed his life slowly. If he was left behind in Gujrat then, I think there would have been no Gandhi in the History of the world.
He criticized his early marriage and I also agree to him, because his un-matured romance is reflected in the book.

Thank you for your attention!

take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment